The Distillery Historic District – just a few blocks from St Lawrence Market is the place to be when visiting Toronto. From the vibrant art galleries & boutiques, trendy stores to fabulous Restaurants & cafes – all in restored 19th century red brick buildings of Victorian Industrial Architecture – there are plenty of things to do here.
Take a walk on the cobblestone streets and enjoy the charm of this historic district.
Here are my top 10 things to do in Distillery District :
1. Walk by the 40-foot tall Spider Sculpture – The famous 40-foot tall-spin-head spider sculpture of the District is built with thousands of pounds of steel and is a must-see while strolling down the street. And don’t forget to click a picture with this giant, also known as ‘IT’.
2. Enjoy a beer with friends or Join a Beer School – No better place than the Mill street Pub to hang out with friends over a mug of seasonal brew and spend some quality time in an original 19th century heritage building surrounded by the goodness of beer. Not just that, you can even learn about the different types of beers at the Mill Street Beer Hall and become an expert.
5. Savor the flavors from around the world – To savor the flavors of authentic mexican food, head to the El Catrin or if you are looking for seafood, check out the summerlicious three-course dinner menu at the Pure Spirits Oyster House & Grill or if you prefer Italian, then head to the Tappo Wine Bar and Restaurant for some delicious Italian meals set in a perfect distillery setting.
6. Enjoy a concert– One of the best places to enjoy an event or a concert – pick your favorite from the event calendar – from Jazz Festival, Vinyl Nights, Panamania (this year’s special as Toronto is hosting Pan Am games) to a Blues concert (we had a fabulous time there last month).
7. Browse through the amazing collection of Art Galleries – Pick the art piece you always wanted to have in your living room or choose the right wedding gift from a wide collection of paintings, sculptures, jewelry, pottery or dolls.
8. Taste the divine hot chocolate at Soma Chocolate – Hot chocolate tastes good, no matter what the weather is outside. This is one of the best places to get your chocolate fix, when in Distillery District. From classic hot chocolate to chocolate covered toasted corn – find it all at the Soma Chocolate.
10. Don’t miss the Distillery Summer/Winter markets– Here in summers, you can get the best local produce – food & flowers at the Sunday Market and it makes for a perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon. And in Winters, it transforms into a Distillery Christmas market – rated one the 10 best Christmas markets in the world by Fodor’s.
Copyright © Vasudha Aggarwal & travel-defined.com, 2014 -15. All rights reserved.