Bangalore is famous for Silk Sarees, IT companies and wonderful weather but that’s not it – you can get a taste of the best of South Indian cuisine here. From crispy Dosas, Handi Biryanis, Puri Chaats to Gadbad (Ice-cream sundae) – delicious food is a part of life.
10 Must-try Dishes in Bangalore
1. Ghee Dosa – Fermented Crepe (Dosa) shallow fried in Ghee (Clarified Butter) served along with Sambhar (curry), Green Chutney (sauce) and Tomato Chutney tastes incredibly yummy. A must-try when in Bangalore and no matter which restaurant you order it from – the taste is consistent all over the city.
2. Handi Biryani – Flavored Rice with spices and meat cooked in an earthern pot – comes along with a curry and Raita (Yogurt). The aroma and taste of this rice delicacy is so magical – you can finish the entire serving in one go.
3. Masala Papad – A spicy side-dish of crispy round black gram discs fried and dry heated, it is a regular with meals all over India. But, the twist here is – these papads (Papadums) are topped with a mix of onions, grated coconut and spices & makes for a savory snack.
5. Puri-Aloo – I would call it ‘Comfort Food’, dripping with oil – just the idea of ‘oodles of carbs’ is so tempting. These Puris (deep fried bread) are soft and taste heavenly with Aloo (Potato) sabzi and a dash of coconut chutney (sauce).
6. Fish Fry – Prepared and served in a variety of ways & savored by everyone – it’s aroma is enough to make your mouth water. The fish comes wrapped in strong flavors and is coated with a layer of Rava (Semolina) or Flour before it is shallow fried till it becomes soft and flaky – incredibly delicious.
7. Idli with Curry – Light and fluffy melt in the mouth Idlis (steamed rice & lentil cakes) served along with Mangalore Curry (Ghasi) – is a delicious start to a day and is a great lunch item as well.
8. Mysore Masala Dosa – It has a special place in every Bangaloreans’ heart. The crepe is shallow fried in a pan and then a spice mix is applied to it before putting the Aloo (Potato) filling in the middle. It comes with Sambhar and green chutney – and is a staple breakfast in many households.
9. Dahi Sev Puri – Fried puff-pastry balls (puri) filled with sauces, yogurt (Dahi) and fried vermicelli (sev) – served with a sprinkling of Grated Beetroot, Cilantro (coriander) and some more Vermicelli (sev). It is light and super-delicious, perfect for Bangalore evenings.
10. Gadbad – Ice-cream sundae with scoops of Vanilla, Strawberry and butterscotch covered with nuts and chopped fruits and topped with cherries & wafers. Every restaurant has its own version of Gadbad, definitely a must-try.
Copyright © Vasudha Aggarwal & travel-defined.com, 2014 -15. All rights reserved.